WHEN DO YOU NEED A RCT?
RCT (endodontics ) is needed when the blood or nerve supply of the tooth (pulp) is damaged due to decay or injury .it is most often needed in teeth which have deep fillings , or in teeth which have deep dental decay. It may cause very severe pain and lead to infection of the tissue surrounding the root tip.
RCT removes infected or damaged pulp from the diseased tooth . after that the hollow pulp chamber and root canals are cleaned & sealed.
CAUSES CAN BE
- Deep seated and un treated dental decay .
- Decay beneath a deep filling .
- Trauma that damages a tooth .
- Habitual teeth grinding (bruxism ) .
SYMPTOMS OF DAMAGE
- Unprovoked or spontaneous pain .
- Sensitivity to hot and cold drinks and foods .
- Pain while biting or chewing .
- Swelling of gum near the affected tooth .
- Oozing of pus surrounding the affected tooth .
- Facial swelling .
Some times , when no symptom is present disease is diagnosed by special tests or x-rays during routine dental visit
SINGLE VISIT RCT
It is most advanced RCT technique with no discomfort , no pain and minimum time and lesser chances of failure . This treatment is usually completed in single visit .
RCT is usually performed under local anaesthesia . The decayed portion of tooth and /or affected filling are removed .Then the pulp or pulp remenants are removed extirpated & then the root canals are cleaned to remove bacteria , pus and debris.
The root canal is made infection free and sealed with long lasting barrier material called GUTTA –PERCHA . The tooth then undergoes restoration and biting surface need protection so a permanent filling and /or the CROWN is needed as per the tooth structure
- When treatment not done the infection may spread into surrounding bone causing a pocket or abscess .
- May cause bone loss in jaw .
- Tooth may have to be removed so tooth loss .
- Damaged tooth is replaced with filling .
- You can expect a functional tooth after the treatment .
- It should last as the other teeth .