Most common dental problem that is usually due to bacterial infection of gums. If only gums are involved the disease is called Gingivitis but if the tissue and bone are involved it is called Periodontitis .
It occurs when teeth are not properly cleaned, plaque forms on them and accumulate on the teeth surface .
PLAQUE is a sticky layer of bacteria and food debris that stick’s on any tooth surface and even between teeth.
- About 50% of adolescents have early signs of periodontal diseases .
- About 60% of young adult have this disease .
- It is the most common cause of tooth loss in adults .
- Most important fact is that at the onset , disease is very slow and does not cause any problems in initial stages .
Signs of periodontal disease
- Bleeding gums
- Swollen red gums bed breath gums tend to pull downwards in relation to the crown of teeth .
- Small space appear between teeth .
- Pain in teeth .
- Shifting and loosening of permanent teeth .
Other factors are
- Smoking and tobacco use .
- Stress .
- Genetics .
- Some Medications .
- Diabetes .
- Grinding of teeth (bruxism) .
- Serious ailments – eg. AIDS, Cancer and their treatments .
- Pregnancy- due hormonal changes .
- Poor nutrition .
Things one can do to prevent periodontal disease
- Brush your teeth after every meal at least twice daily ( after dinner & after break fast )
- Use fluoride tooth paste .
- Floss your teeth at least once a day .
- Eat balanced diet .
- Visit you dentist every six month .
- Get your teeth professionally cleaned .
- Change your tooth brush every 3 month .
Depends on the stage of disease
- Medication and scaling .
- Stress .
- Soft tissue grafts .
- Pocket reduction procedures .
- Regenerative procedures .
- DENTAL PLAQUE CAN BE BRUSHED AND FLOSSED AWAY BY AN IDIVIDUAL .
- CALCULUS CAN BE REMOVED BY SCALING ONLY .
- IT IS SAFE DURING PGEGNANCY TOO .
Scaling & Root Planning
he main cause of these diseases is bacterial plaque, a sticky, colorless film that constantly forms on your teeth. If plaque is not removed on a daily basis it can turn into a hard substance called calculus (tartar). When plaque and calculus are not removed the bacteria in plaque produce toxins (or poisons) that can destroy the supporting tissues and bone around the teeth .As the diseases progress, the gum around the tooth becomes loose and separates away from the tooth resulting in deep areas called pockets. As these pockets deepen, more gum tissue and bone are destroyed and the teeth eventually become loose. If periodontal diseases are not treated, the teeth may need to be removed.
Dental Cleaning by a dentist or dental hygienist (prophylaxis / scaling)
All the deposits which are harmful for your teeth are removed with the help of curettes and ultrasonic devices.There are 2 methods of scaling:
Here certain fine instruments called hand scalers are used to remove the harmful deposits from your teeth.
Here a specialized instrument called an ultrasonic scaler is used which oscillates at vibrations of almost 25,000 to 40,000 Hertz with a water spray Various tips are available depending on the areas to be scaled.